Matt came home from work one day and showed me this video. For the past three weeks since then we’ve been battling with the ear worm. It doesn’t help that when one of us hums it, or sings a line we share the video with friends. It’s one of those things that you just can’t unsee, but in a good way! The track is Alane by Wes in the Cameroonian language Duala, sounds pretty similar to Afrikaans in some places. I think the only tragedy here is that most of my friends from Zimbabwe don’t understand Afrikaans and can’t appreciate this video.
I haven’t made a list like this since August 2012, so it’s definitely high time to re-introduce it. I’d definitely like to make it a more regular occurrence, maybe monthly so I keep my bookmarks and saved links to a manageable minimum. There isn’t usually a theme to these, but this week all the links are food-related. I compiled this while I was hungry, so that might have something to do with it.
1. The picture above is a solarium made of caramel. Each of the 162 colored panes is made of sugary caramel layered between two sheets of glass. The color variations were accomplished simply by cooking the caramel to different temperatures. As Liz Lemon would say, I want to go to there! I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t be welcome for too long and they’d chase me away for licking the window panes.
2. Hoxton Street Monster Supplies, established in 1818 as the Purveyor of Quality Goods for Monsters of Every Kind. Selling items like Milk Tooth Chocolate bars, Impacted Earwax, Banshee Balls, A Vague Sense of Unease, Sorrow and so forth. I’m so sad I didn’t know about this shop when I was in London.
3. Shoe Bakery, if I was inclined to wear sky high heels, I’d like them to at the very least, resemble an ice-cream sundae!
4. Album pies is a Twitter account that showcases album covers that have been remade as
pies. How could I not love this?! The only sad thing about this is that only 7 albums/pies have been made so far…
5. On the topic of pie, this has done the rounds before, but I’ve never shared the absolute genius craftsmanship that is the Cthulhu pie!
6. Cookie Bookie notebooks. Three different cookie notebooks to choose from, a wafer, a lemon cream lookalike and an oreo lookalike – I’ll be happy with any of these.
7. Edible Masterpieces is a new fundraising initiative from the Art Fund that encourages art lovers to create edible masterpieces. All funds raised go towards helping UK museums and galleries.
8. Have you heard of Thug Kitchen? The tagline is eat like you give a fuck, so if you have an aversion to strong language this is not the site for you. For everyone else it’s funny, and sometimes contains *just* the amount of real talk you need.
9. I’ve done a post before on supporting local farmers and using services such as Timothy & Clover, and trying to be more interested in sustainability. A book that I’m interested in reading is An Everlasting Meal by Tamar Adler. From what I’ve read about it, it teaches approachable lesson on feeding ourselves well while demonstrating implicit frugality in cooking. This might not appeal to everyone, but I need to get my hands on this book!
10. Pizza compass is an app that is just that. A compass that shows you how close you are to a pizza joint at any given time. I’m basically a pizzatarian, so this app is very welcome in my life. At first I was worried that it would be based on the American market exclusively, but I downloaded it (currently it’s FREE in the iTunes App Store) and it’s works pretty darn well. For a laugh, watch this video selling you the app.
Sadly, this year there isn’t a PIXAR movie nominated for an Academy Award, hopefully that’ll change next year once The Good Dinosaur is released. This year’s Oscar Best Picture Nominated movies have received a PIXAR makeover by Todd Spence from Break. This year’s Oscar winners will be announced on Sunday, so be sure to watch as many of these as you can before then to have an opinion!
- Slick, small and contoured. Leather trimmings where necessary and carbon for the rest.
- The matte finish resists fingerprints and other smudges.
- Extremely flexible. Continue reading
The Exclusive Books Summer Sale starts Wednesday, 26 February. The Fanatics preview takes place on Tuesday, 25 February (tomorrow) at 5pm. This is my haul from the latest Exclusive Books Summer Sale preview. You’d think that I have enough books already, but I’m starting to think that that day might never come. You can never have enough, or too many books. So instead of staying away, I’ve tried to limit myself to no more than 10 books (at a time!). Continue reading